Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Little Of This And A Little Of That

A couple of quick notes:

-No, Salty Parker's Cup Of Coffee isn't 19th century baseball in St. Louis but it was a worthwhile post. Parker just so happened to have lived in my hometown and graduated from the same high school that I did. A friend of mine lives next door to his brother, Charlie Parker, and it was my pleasure to meet the gentleman and talk to him about Salty's career. I was more than happy to do the research and put together something on this longtime baseball man. People like him deserve to be remembered. And it's kind of what I do.

-My post on Merritt Griswold And The Civil War In St. Louis is included in this month's History Blog Carnival, which is being hosted at Historia i Media. As always, its a collection of interesting and varied stuff (excluding my meager contribution, of course) so head over and check it out.

-And it's not true that I've developed an unhealthy obsession with VEB's All-Time Sim Tournament. I just find it interesting. And it's not like we have any other baseball going on right now. And if the sim computer just recognized Foutz and Caruthers as pitchers the 1887 team would have advanced and if they had bothered to buy some gloves (it's called a sporting goods store, fellas, and the brand you're looking for is Rawlings) the Browns wouldn't be booting the ball all over the field and fracking Nat Hudson has developed a bad case of Juan Acevedo Disease and Silver King can't pitch every inning of every game and, okay, maybe I'm just a little obsessed. But only a little. Seriously, though, what kind of evil computer virus turned Nat Hudson, a 25 game winner in 1888 with an ERA+ of 128, into Jeff fracking Tabaka?

No comments: