Sunday, February 17, 2008

Silver King (v.1888) Drops The Hammer

Another VEB's All-Time Sim Tournament update (with video!)...

Okay, I'll get this out of the way first. The 1885 Browns were swept, four games to nothing, by the frackin' 2006 Cards. It's entirely possible that I picked the 1885's as a final four team (tough to remember; hopefully there's no evidence of this on the internet). I stand by my assertion that Tony LaRussa sold his soul to the Devil in late September of 2006. The results of this transaction could be seen in the performances of Jeff Weaver, So Taguchi, and Yadier Molina in the post-season. That evil mojo has carried over into the Sim Tourney. In making my final four picks, I simply forgot to take into account TLR's dalliance with black magic and the possibility that he owns a copy of the Necronomicon. If at some point this season, Albert Pujols has his bum arm removed and replaced with a chain saw, my suspicions will have been confirmed. Of course, who doesn't want to see Pujols hold up a bat and yell "This is my boomstick!"






While the 1885's are done (and the 1886's have yet to begin play), 1888 Silver King has come to chew bubblegum and kick butt...and he's all out of bubblegum. Going into his last game, King (v.1888) was 6-2 with an ERA of 1.96 and a WHIP of .942. He's allowed 65 base runners in 69 innings and has given up only one home run. So with his team down two games to nothing against the 1968 Cards, what does he do? He dominates. An eleven inning, complete game, four hit shutout. Oh, I almost forgot-he also hit the game winning home run in the top of the eleventh. WhatIfSports described it this way: "Silver King crushes a solo homer to LCF." The man is all out of bubblegum.

No comments: