Friday, September 5, 2008

Reach Ads From 1893


One of the things I really like about reading the old issues of The Sporting News is the advertising. For some reason, I can easily get caught up just looking at all the old ads. I honestly think I could start a blog just about 19th century advertising in the sporting media. The two ads above, for the 1893 Reach Guide and for Reach Sporting Goods, particularly caught my eye and I thought I'd share them.

Click on the image to get a better look at them.

4 comments:

Mike S said...

Its stuff like this that makes me glad I read this blog.

You have probably seen it - one of my favorite baseball related books is something called "Baseball Extra" a collection of sports pages from the history of MLB. I love reading the ads as much as anything else about the book.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeffrey Kittel said...

Thanks for the very kind comment, Mike. I can't tell you how I appreciate it.

Jeffrey Kittel said...

And, btw, the comment that was deleted (for anyone who's curious)was spam. I've been getting a lot of spam comments lately and I'm not sure why. I'll have to go and check my filters and all that to see what I can do to put a stop to it. Honestly, the way I'd like to stop it is by meeting some spammers in a dark alley and beating the snot out of them with a baseball bat.