Saturday, October 4, 2008

Plow Boys Vs. Anchors


A very interesting game was played September 19, on the Eldridge Farm, Jersey county, Ill., between the Eldridge Plow Boys and the Anchors, of Brighton, Ill., which resulted in the defeat of the latter...
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, September 23, 1875


This game is probably of little interest to anyone other than me and my family.

Jersey County is just north of Alton, Illinois and technically is not part of the greater St. Louis metropolitan area. However, my aunt and uncle have lived in Jersey County for about thirty years now and I couldn't tell you how many times I've been up that way. I don't know anything about the Eldridge Farm but I do know where Brighton is. All serious Cardinal fans will have heard of Brighton because it's the hometown of one Jason Isringhausen. Izzy is married to a girl from Jerseyville, where my aunt and uncle live. It's a small world.

No comments: