Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Best Manner Of Conducting The Sport

Representatives from the base ball clubs of St. Louis, Chicago and Cincinnati have been in consultation with the directors of the Louisville organization, for several days, in regard to the best manner of conducting the sport next season, were treated to a banquet by the Louisville club; and during their stay discussed freely what will be best to promote the interests of the sport in all sections of the country, finally adjourning, to meet with the National Convention, in March next.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, December 19, 1875


As I understand (and often embrace) my limitations as a writer, I really shouldn't criticize the writing of others. However, the above sentence is a monstrosity and is, at the very least, missing a conjunction. It is also, like a great deal of 19th century newspaper prose, overly punctuated. Of course, I'm also guilty of that crime myself from time to time but 19th century writers were extraordinarily comma happy.

I'm not certain at this point how deep I'm going to go into the founding of the National League but it is important to the story of the Brown Stockings' 1876 season. At the very least, I'll give the St. Louis perspective (or, more specifically, I'll post William Spink's thoughts on the matter). I think there's enough information out there about the founding of the League and no great mysteries that need investigation regarding its founding. Looking at what is mostly settled history from a different point of view should be productive.

No comments: