Thursday, October 29, 2009

Joe Blong, Storekeeper

Joseph M. Blong was to-day commissioned Storekeeper for the First Missouri District.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, March 19, 1886


Just trying to get off the subject of the 1876 Brown Stockings for a few days so you'll have to wait patiently for the game account of the Brown Stockings/Louisville game. I thought I'd have the Top Games in St. Louis Baseball History posts ready to go but I'm still not done putting that together. Anyway...

I've posted something before about Blong working for the government as a storekeeper but I'm still not certain what the job exactly entailed. I assume it was something like a commissary or quartermaster gig and that his brother Andrew, who was a bigwig with the Democratic Party, got him the job.

No comments: