Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving





I got myself a niece and a great-niece in the last year and a half and I can't tell you how thankful I am for them. I've been very fortunate in that I get to spend a great deal of time with them. It may be a dog eat dog world out there and we may all be wearing milk bone underwear but it doesn't really matter when you get to hang out with those two chubby little ham hocks.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the lands!
Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!
Know that the Lord is God!
It is he that made us, and we are his;
we are his people,
and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him, bless his name!
For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures for ever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.
-Psalm 100


I've been watching pretty much nothing but Westerns lately so I'm in the mood to share these with you:

The Searchers is simply the greatest Western of all-time and I'll accept no argument about that. The science is settled.




One of the best things about Westerns is the music and this is my favorite.





Since it's a holiday, I'll also share this: the showdown between Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson from Once Upon A Time In The West. Keep an eye out for Claudia Cardinale (hubba hubba).





And just so we're clear, here's my top ten all-time Westerns:

1. The Searchers
2. Once Upon A Time In The West
3. The Magnificent Seven
4. Unforgiven
5. Fistful of Dollars
6. Rio Bravo
7. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
8. My Darling Clementine
9. The Outlaw Josey Wales
10. She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

Very heavy on the Duke, Clint and Henry Fonda. I'm pretty settled on 1 through 4 but 5 through 10 changes from time to time. Sometimes High Noon sneaks in there; sometimes The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; sometimes Winchester '73. But Shane never makes the list.

No comments: