Saturday, August 21, 2010

The 1886 World Series: The Negotiations Continue

President Von der Ahe, in reply to A.G. Spalding's letter in reference to a series of games between the Browns and Chicagos, sent the following yesterday:

A.G. Spalding, President Chicago League Club: Dear Sir-Your letter came to hand late last evening. I heartily agree with you in your statement that a code of rules should be made for the government of the coming world's championship series, so that there can be no possible quibble after the result has once been attained. The provisions and conditions you name in your acceptance of my challenge are agreeable to me with one or two exceptions. When I sent you my challenge I overlooked the fact that we were scheduled to play the Maroons a series of nine games here this fall, for the local championship. These games are scheduled for the Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays of the three last weeks in October, after the close of the regular championship series. It is, therefore, impossible for us to play a series of nine games with your team, as we have not enough open dates on which to play them. What I propose is a series of five games, the club winning three of them to be awarded the title of championship of the world, and the entire gross receipts, minus the expense of the Board of Umpires; two of these games to be played in Chicago, and two in St. Louis; the fifth and deciding game, if necessary, to be played on one of the home grounds, and the choice of grounds to be decided by toss. I will also have to enter a protest in regard to the clause providing for a Board of Umpires. I do not do this because I believe the system a bad one, but because I thing that four umpires are too many. I would suggest that we have two, one each from the League and American Association corps. Another reason for my protest is that fact that I have personal reasons for not desiring at least three out of four members of the present League corps to officiate in such an important position in these contests. I do not care to state these reasons just now, but I will do so when I can see you personally. If there are any members of the American Association staff that are distasteful to you, I would like to hear from you, so that I can consult your wishes in making my selection. I do not object strenuously to a board of four, providing you suggest the name of at least one more man outside the League staff who understands the game and has a good reputation for honesty. I would like to meet you at your earliest convenience, in order that we may arrange the dates and attend to other details that can not very well be arranged by letter. Yours respectfully,

Christ Von Der Ahe
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, October 2, 1886

No comments: