Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Rent's Due

Miss Mary E. Boyce began an attachment suit in the Circuit Court yesterday against Wm. Stromberg, late President of the Maroons Base Ball Club, for the purpose of recovering $450, money due for the rent of the grounds on the corner of Cass and Jefferson avenues.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, November 1, 1887

A couple of weeks ago, I was in North St. Louis, driving down Grand Avenue. I realized, rather quickly, that I was in an area where a lot of the old ballparks had been. I actually drove right past where the Grand Avenue Grounds had stood and turned off to get to Illinois at the old Fairgrounds, where the Cyclone/Morning Star match was played. I also passed within a few blocks of the Union Grounds at Cass and Jefferson and of the site of New Sportsman's Park on Vandeventer and Natural Bridge.

One of these days, I need to take a camera up to the area and get pictures of all of these sites. That would make for a nice post.

No comments: