Sunday, July 1, 2012

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About St. Louis In 1859

St. Louis in 1854


I found a really neat book that I wanted to let you know about.  It's called The St. Louis Guide For Citizens and Strangers and was published in 1859, the year the Cyclone Club was formed.  It's just full of information that you likely can't find anywhere else.  One of the cool things about the book is all the ads for St. Louis businesses in 1859.  It's available to read for free over at Google Books, so go take a look.

The image at the top of the post is also pretty cool and I found it at a website called Uncle Dale's Readings in Early Mormon History.  Uncle Dale seems to be a kindred spirit who, like myself, enjoys reading 19th century newspapers and he has a ton of primary source material that pertains to the history of the Latter Day Saints.  I found the place to be a bit of a time sink (and I mean that in the best possible way).  You should check it out.       

No comments: