Monday, February 18, 2013

Am I Really Going To Do This?

Fred Dunlap, of the Unions, having heard that Capt. Comiskey, of the Browns, has said that the only condition upon which the latter club will play the Unions is that each player in each nine shall put up $100 to be played for, declares that he is ready to accept the proposition, and if any member of his nine lacks the stipulated amount he will put up for him.  He will bet $100 and his share of the gate receipts if a series of three games are arranged.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, October 20, 1884


The most interesting thing about the Maroons' 1884 season was the pre-season and all of the machinations in setting up the league and the club.  My assumption is that the off-season, with the collapse of the UA and the Maroons entry into the NL, will be every bit as interesting.

I'm not sure if I have the stomach for more Maroons stuff but I think it's something I have to do.  

No comments: